Remember Musical.ly? How about Vine? It’s hard to keep up with the constantly changing social media landscape as some apps excel, others merge, and even more die out. As non-members of the Gen Z and Millennial generations, it’s even harder to keep it all straight.
If you do remember Musical.ly, you may recall that in August 2018, it rebranded as TikTok after being acquired by Chinese company ByteDance the year before. And Vine? That app suffered a slow death, causing users to feel the dejection of media abandonment. But TikTok has stirred up a revival of short video clips—only now, it’s even more interactive, collaborative, and downright addictive. TikTok has surged in popularity, topping worldwide download charts since Q4 of 2018.
Recently, TikTok has surpassed the likes of Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and Snapchat in Q3 2019 App Store and Google Play installs. While the app doesn’t appear to differ much from other looping, short-form video-sharing apps, TikTok has enticed and captivated consumers with a proclivity for binge-watching video content.
Don’t believe us? Download the app yourself and try not to fall down a rabbit hole of lip-syncs, challenges, dances, comedies, skits, and potentially cringe-worthy content.
In addition, brands are capitalizing on the app’s remarkable success to launch influencer marketing campaigns with top TikTok creators. As TikTok expands into the influencer marketing arena, marketers ought to know the 20 TikTok statistics shaping the world’s hottest app:
- TikTok now has over 1.5 billion users.
- 60% of the app’s monthly active users in the U.S. are 16- to 24- year-olds.
- TikTok created an in-app e-commerce feature for sponsored challenges.
- Americans have spent over $23.1 million on TikTok’s virtual currency since 2018.
- Just 4% of U.S. social media marketers use the platform.
- TikTok’s user base is largely based in India at 43% of new users.
- Users typically spend around 52 minutes per day on the app.
- The #RaindropChallenge has over 978 million views on TikTok.
- Android use of the app is more popular than iOS.
- TikTok lost $500,000 from India ban.
- The top 50 TikTok creators have more followers than the populations of Mexico, Canada, the U.K, Australia, and the U.S. combined.
- Jimmy Fallon’s #TumbleweedChallenge created 8,000 videos with over 9 million views in seven days.
- There are more than 5 million #InMyFeelings challenge videos on TikTok compared to 1.7 million on Instagram.
- TikTok’s average engagement rate is 29%.
- TikTok is the only top 5 global app not owned by Facebook.
- 80% of TikTok’s sessions are on Android devices.
- 29% of monthly users open TikTok every day.
- TikTok drives ads on competitor platforms.
- TikTok will focus on safety and security in 2020.
- Men are slightly more likely to use TikTok than women.